Thursday, May 03, 2012

CORAL SCULPTURE (PINOY GARDEN ORNAMENT) by Kanuto wong

CORAL SCULPTURE

Coral craft

This is a miniature of the bell tower of Paoay, Ilocos Norte. I was inspired of making this when my friend invited me to visit the town of Paoay to introduce its rich historical background that was preserved way back from the colonial period.  I made this when I was in second year high school or at the age of 14.

The church of Paoay is made out of coral blocs and not bricks, the Spaniards that colonized the Philippines is the engineers of the church but the Filipinos are the one who made it. This is actually a fallen part of it, that is why this sculpture is already more than a hundred years old.

I pick stones whenever I go to a tour as a remembrance but I would really want to specify where those stones came from and instead of writing on it, I wanted to make it more meaningful, so I make different crafts out of those stones.


This is actually a miniature design or ornaments  for gardens just like the  stone crafts of the Chinese and Japanese. I think this is the Filipino version of it. Their stone crafts are inspired by the shape of their temples and this is also inspired by the bell tower of a church, they are pretty much the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment