Tuesday, May 08, 2012

DINAMILI (pottery of San Nicolas Ilocos Norte)

   CLAY POTS INDUSTRY IN NORTHERN PHILIPPINES


 

Sirkulo


 The town of San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte is known for its clay pots called Banga. In  additoin, there are also other products like bricks, tiles, garden pots, jar coin bank, Lusob (braces in making a well) and many more. Banga has an important role in the lives of the Ilocanos. It is a part of their tradition and culture. They use it to cook Pinakbet (an Ilocano dish assorting vegetables), they start the funeral parade with a ceremony, the Ilocanos smash it to kill the chicken underneath  before the casket leaves the gate of the house.





 The traditional procedure of pottery making in Ilocos Norte is called Damili. In fact, the people of San Nicolas celebrates the Damili Festival by December 26-30. The Sirkulo  is  a land mark showing the main products of San Nicolas, it is locate on the center of the road. You may see it before entering the town proper.






 The pottery products are transported to neighboring towns and being sold during market days. the prize ranges from Php15 - Php300.



5 comments:

  1. I want to have a few of them. I'm in the US. I have used that when I was young and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to order some,who's to contact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi you can try to reach Conrado Espaniola Rangcapan through his Facebook account. I saw some pictures he posted on Laoag City Buy and Ilocos Norte Buy and Sell group.

      Delete
  3. Can tourists experience pottery making in San Nicolas? If so, how much is the fee?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear all , I'm planning to resell your items. Please provide me contact number I can reach with ? Here's my mobile number . 09985825313 fb. Eugene Mar G. Niog

    ReplyDelete